How My Garden Grows

From this on 4/2010: Container Garden 4.25.10 To this 6/2010: Contained Garden 6.14.10

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Garden Update

I've decided that I may in fact have a green thumb. I have several cherry tomatoes growing, a few tomatoes, and 1 lonely blackberry. My squash has flowers which I'm hopeful will grow into actual squash. The cucumbers are growing, but I haven't seen any flowers, yet.

My green thumb, however, does not seem to extend to herbs. NONE of my planted herbs are growing. I'm not sure what I have done wrong, but apparently, it's something. They tend to grow tiny, delicate little stems and then just keel over. Any suggestions?

Oh, and my "dead" strawberry plant seems to be rallying. That's good news. I was about to toss it. Good thing I am an optimist and hoped against hope that the strawberry plant would pull through.
Strawberry Plant 6.13.10

Overcrowded Cucumbers?
Cucumber Plant 6.13.10

Another issue that I am facing is with the squash and cucumbers. I planted them from seeds in a 7 gallon bucket. I think I may have too many plants in each bucket. Any suggestions about how close stems should be or how many stems I should have in a 7 gallon bucket? My google searches haven't been very helpful as most of the sites are about "real" gardens and not container gardens. Brian also thinks my squash and possibly cucumbers may have some type of infection (bacteria or fungus). Some of the leaves are spotty. I'm not sure what that means.
Photobucket

Medic NEEDED!
Photobucket

It's times like this when I wish I had readers who might be able to offer some advice......(Shout out to Amy for being my only follower. I guess it falls to you. I hope you are an avid gardener! j/k)

No comments:

Post a Comment